The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

romance heroines are

So if bad boys have a lot of appeal in romances, who are the heroines? That can be pretty diverse; so all I can say is who mine are. They are always strong women. I just can't get interested in spending months working on a book with a heroine who constantly and stupidly gets herself into messes that a strong man has to fix. I know that has a lot of appeal from romance readers. It must as there are a lot of such books out there. Not gonna find it in mine.

image purchased from CanStock
What I like in a heroine, besides her strength, is her willingness to look at a situation with a clear head and deal with it. If she can't figure it out from the first, she will. She might have things to learn and as in one of my books, have a little paranoia based on past experiences, but she recognizes it and sets out to correct it. My heroines are all able to change their minds when the situation requires it.

I have never written a book with a bimbo or stupid heroine. I have had them be a mix of professions-- artists, lawyers, teachers, decorators, office managers, photojournalists, singers, gas pump jockeys, wantabe journalists, and only one homemaker. Pretty much they are young women from their 20s to their mid 30s who might be virgins or have been in previous relationships. They are never promiscuous.

The woman has to be someone I'd like because once I start a book with her, I am going to be with her a lot of time. She has to be someone I could find as a friend. To spend a book with a dingbat would have me wanting to kill her off by the last chapter!

My heroines are all pretty but mostly its their character that draws to them the kind of hero who is worthy of a book. Beauty is good but interesting people are better.

Interestingly it does help to visualize these characters and buying images has proven to be one way I do that. Mine generally have come from CanStock with a few exceptions. When I need to put them into an historical period, I get creative with my photo-paint tools. The main thing always is that they have faces that to me reflect strength-- modern or historical women.

I should add that my heroine for the fourth Oregon historical, she's a warrior herself. First one I've ever written like that although I've written plenty who can become warriors when required.