The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Sunday, August 11, 2013

to be or not to be that was the question


Since last summer I talked about the debate I was having with myself. Should I bring the historical novels out as eBooks? I've gone back and forth with differing answers. For any writer, there are options-- more than ever before. 

I could have submitted them to a publishing house to see if I could find interest except why would I do that? I know a lot of writers want publishing contracts but these days, unless it's a huge house with a guaranteed number of sales for everything it brings out, what is the advantage for the writer other than ego? 

Well one advantage could be they would do the promotions-- except not likely a lot of it for a first time author. They also might get books into stores I cannot but those books stay a very short time before being replaced by new books; so sales that route aren't apt to be many unless I was out pushing the books. 

Some think books have to be better if they come out through a big publishing house. Those are not people paying much attention to what actually does come that way with less editing than ever and more expectation the author will do it or not get accepted.

From experience (years back), I know that the publishing houses expect a writer to hit certain buttons. They want the cookie cutter books and rarely take a risk on something different. 

Given the lengths of my historical romances-- from 115,000 to just over 130,000-- it would be rare to get any of them to even look at mine as they want 100,000 words or thereabouts. So, I'd have to slash the heck out of them and probably would still not fit the cookie cutter niche; so not going to happen.

There was all along the option of holding onto them while I built up a brand using my contemporary romances already out there. I have done some of that since I put out my last contemporary a year ago. During that time, I've put myself into a lot of the media where they say an independent writer must be, but it hasn't led to gang buster sales or even being sure the books are being seen by their potential readers.

They say you should figure out who your potential reader is. I know a few things about them. One they cannot be wanting a masterpiece but should be someone looking for a good read, some excitement in their stories but nothing depressing to the point it leaves them feeling more down than before they read the book. They save that for non-fiction!

They should enjoy reading for pleasure and not see it all having to be literary or something that they can brag about to their friend as being more intellectual than what their friend was reading. Let's face it, what one reads can be a status symbol. The only status one might claim for reading my books is they buy from indie authors to encourage independent writing. Hey, that's some status, isn't it? No?

My reader can't be prudish about sex in a book. On the other hand, they cannot want it to be the whole book. They have to not be afraid of romances but be open to those that are a little different. They have to be okay with the book not following a set formula that often is found in romances. They should like a story where the characters and situation carry the events to logical ends.

If they read a lot of other kinds of books, they should be someone open to one that is a mix of genres... And they cannot be embarrassed to be found reading a romance. 

What, you say that kind of reader doesn't exist? Oh maybe that's my problem ;)

Anyway I am bringing the historicals out-- more coming on that.