The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Arizona Sunset


Titling a book is one of the interesting challenges to writing it. Once in awhile the title is obvious and comes easily. Twice I've titled one I had published and changed it after it had come out because of readers not liking the original, it proving to be misleading as to the story's essence, or my own decision that it wasn't going deep enough and I suddenly realized I knew what would.

One of those changes was minor tweaking, the other changed the whole feel of what the story was about to my original intent. I've had a few books that haven't sold particularly well, might do better with a different title, but I am glued to their titles because of what they say about the deeper meaning of the book. I am convinced (optimist that I am) that someday their titles will touch the right readers and they will be glad I kept them.

What I always want with a title is that in the fewest possible words it take a reader to the deepest level of the story. It's about the bones, the structure and has to hit that button with minimal words.

This is the case with the final title I oped for the historical romance coming out this month. Originally I wrote this book over twenty years ago. The plot has stayed consistent and likewise the characters even as I have improved my writing skills. Through the years it has had couple of working titles. None quite said what I wanted.

Yes, it's a love story, an historical, and a western; but the message is about how we can think we are at the end, where there seem to be no options and then something opens up and changes not only how we see that but what we can do. It is about not closing ourselves off to these changes. It is about how life can throw us surprises but it's how we deal with them that makes the difference. It is also about cycles.

Sunsets are apt metaphors for cycles as they appear to be the end each day. A sunset can be something that simply ends the day with nothing special or can be incredibly beautiful. They aren't the end even as they appear to be each day as what comes next is the darkness of night. Arizona is famous for their sunsets and with just cause.

Arizona in the title came because the story and characters are set in Southern Arizona.