The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Friday, April 3, 2015

Sky Daughter-- Free, are you kidding me?

I have said I'd never do another free book but here I am with this one. It is the only one I could do free because it's in KU as an experiment. At the beginning of May, it goes out back to the other sell sites. 

When I first began ePublishing, I did a lot of free books but quit it before Sky Daughter came out. It began to seem wrong to me-- not so much for me as for the business of writing. It creates a mentality that books really are free. They aren't. They take work and there is an investment in any of them. Still, it is kind of fun to give away a book like this. Actually, I do give away books still but not in a block of time-- just to individuals. So I shall see how this goes for three days. Happy Easter :). 
 


Sky Daughter was my first paranormal. It is set in contemporary times, in the mountains of Idaho. The characters are like anybody when they come across something that logic alone cannot explain. For the supernatural aspect, I researched the kinds of experiences some people claim to have had with the other side. The mystery the characters must unravel is what is real. Are there powers out there, which can be accessed sometimes to catastrophic results? 

Maggie Gard, the heroine has no idea who her family is or what she will face when she moves back to her grandfather's mountain. Something is wrong there. Part of it is human, but it's not all. Her world becomes even more fraught with peril when Reuben Delgado arrives on the run from an unseen enemy. Neither of them are looking to fall in love and certainly not looking to deal with a human and supernatural enemy.

Sky Daughter has, what was for me, a fun secondary cast of characters as Maggie's grandfather has not been ignoring the dangers building around him, and he has lifelong friends-- oh and maybe a little something more. 

Some strong language and mild profanity.
Heat Level: ♥♥♥♥
Free April 3, 4, and 5 for Kindle (always check that Amazon already has it at $0.00)

Snippet:
   When he put up his hand to signal no more, she sat back and studied him. "I am no doctor but I think we need to look at your wound and be sure it’s not infected."
    “I suppose so." His tone was understandably reluctant.

    “I hadn’t meant to shoot you, but you were threatening me."

    "I was out of my head. You should have shot to kill. You didn’t know I didn’t intend worse than kidnap. If my mother had been there, she’d have said kill him.”

    "It happened so fast. I never meant to pull that trigger at all."

    "A reassuring thought. So you're no better at handling a weapon than I."

    She gave him a look. “I’m not a bad shot. Just you rushed me.”

    “I don’t like guns pointing at me.”

    "I had it for protection."

    "From someone like me." It wasn’t a question.
    "Well at the time, it seemed a good idea." She rested a hip on the edge of a dresser and studied him. She had been around, lived other places, but Reuben Delgado was like no one she’d known.
    "I am in trouble," he said. She saw him considering, trying to decide. “Worse, I don’t know whether I can trust you.”
    “You have a choice?”
    He managed a smile. “I have enemies.  I don’t know who they are. Not even what they look like, nor do I know why.”
    “You are sounding insane.”
    “I know. I was drugged. I can be sure of that much. I then had all my money, identification, even clothing taken from me. Whatever they wanted from me, I don’t think it’s over. There are people out to get me, who I won’t know if I meet them on the street. You could be one of them, and yes, I get it. It sounds crazy to me too.”
    She stiffened. Maybe he was crazy. This was not good. If he was crazy, maybe schizophrenic, she had him in her house with no phone and no help nearby. But wait, who heard voices? She managed a smile while she tried to think through what he had told her.
   “Yes, but if I’m nuts, you are more so for taking me in.”
   “Sounds that way.”
    “Somebody was hurting me. You saw that when you treated my wound.”
    “Men get in fights. That doesn’t require some invisible enemy.”
    He shook his head and looked away. “I wish I could tell you something that made sense. I can only tell you what I know and that’s not much.”
    “You make me nervous, New York.”
    “New York? Why’d you call me that?”
    “Your accent. Not all the time but when you get upset like now. You have a New Yorker twang.”