The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Craig Johnson on his books

After I got into marketing, I became interested in videos of author interviews or lectures. Thinking of doing them myself, I wanted to hear what other authors had done. My favorites don't have to be in my genre... In fact none have been as I've also had links to Stephen King, Anne Rice and now here's one by Craig Johnson.

I have mentioned before that I am a Longmire fan. His newest book in the series just came out, Any Other Name, and I grabbed it when I saw it at Costco. Other than Craig Johnson, I haven't exactly been a fan of mysteries. I did like Tony Hillerman and that makes sense as both these writers make landscape a character in their stories. 

What do I like about Johnson? Let me count the ways. He's living in the area where his stories are set. That's always good for a starter as it means they truly feel like you are there. He has some Cheyenne mysticism mixed in, and I am always interested in Native American mythologies. I like a bit of mysticism mixed into a good mystery. 

My personal complaints regarding Johnson are pretty much what I find with any book-- plots that don't always seem logical but instead serve the writer's need for something at a particular point. There have been a few times his hero does dumb things that should have gotten him killed-- but hey, that's in mysteries, romances, sci fi or...

The following is well worth watching. It is a video recorded in 2009 when he was at a Library of Congress event to discuss his books, their inspiration and to answer questions. It's funny at times and well worth your time if you are looking for inspiration for your own writing-- whatever kind you do.  interview