The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Sunday, August 19, 2012

the making of a great romance

Do these two look like a matched set to make a likely romantic couple?



That's what I think-- definitely not-- which is why they will make the perfect romance for the book that follows my 1883 Arizona western romance. If it comes easy, it doesn't make for a good story, now does it?

The hard part would have been letting this story set until I finished the third in the Oregon series. I mean I hadn't even imagined doing a following story to the Arizona one. I owed something to that Oregon historical set after the Civil War. BUT the unfinished Oregon book is the third in its own series which always meant not out until way into the fall of 2013-- if I follow my projected plan for how far apart for these.

Does that sound like a justification to jump into the story of that couple above? I suppose it is, but I think when the fire is burning, why not feed it! ;)  And after editing the first book, the fire is really burning to write the story of these mismatched lovers.

The writing is actually moving right along. There is a problem though. When I do books in a kind of series, I like the titles to work together. The original title I had for my Arizona historical romance would not fit with the second one. Actually it might have even been misleading regarding the first one as it made it sound more sexy than it is-- not that there isn't sex in it (there's always sex in them), but it's not erotica.

Anyway I'm doing some thinking on titles as I write the first part of the next book-- as in first 3000 words and chapter one already done. I have family time coming up which means I can't rush this, but I can be thinking about it as I now have gotten into these characters.

Beginning a new book, I like going slow on the writing, feeling my way through what happens next even as I already know some of it way down the road. Developing interesting secondary characters for this new one is part of why it's good to meander a bit-- lots of time thinking and not writing.

I love doing this kind of writing, starting something new after a long time of editing and editing and editing again. This is fun.