The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Heroines of note

As I said was the case with the heroes, I do like all my heroines. They are the kind of women I'd like to have for friends. Sometimes they are like me but mostly they are different in significant ways. With only a few exceptions, they are career women who are good at and like what they do. I don't write many stories about young women and when I do they are the most struggle for me to care about them. My favorite heroine will be in her mid to late 20s and often in her mid to late 30s-- a time when I think women hit their prime.

When I began reading romances, the kind that changed the genre from Jane Austen to bodice rippers, I had a hard time with the heroines. It seemed to me their main characteristic was to be beautiful. It's why the hero would want them, why he'd save their bacon after a multitude of stupid acts. There was a lot of-- resent him but let him coerce her into sex (which sometimes was virtually rape even if she enjoyed it later). That has mostly changed for the genre and not thought highly of by many authors or readers.

In my own books, my heroines never say no unless they mean it. (That's a life lesson I believe cannot be overestimated as to its importance. Playing games with sex is deadly). The women I create have goals apart from getting a picket fence and sometimes are as conflicted at whether they want a permanent relationship as the men are. When they do want a man, they don't play coy. They have problems that have nothing to do with getting a ring on their finger.

I have never created a story where the heroine is mad at the hero most of the way through the book. How many times in real life do you think the man who irks you the most is the one you fall in love with? Not saying it doesn't happen but generally speaking we know when we are attracted or not.


Now that doesn't mean that in the beginning these women always know exactly what they want. I try to stick to how I feel life can be. What we want is sometimes not what we need and vice versa. But treating someone badly and then falling into their arms. No thanks. I'd hate to read such a heroine and sure don't want to spend a lot of time with that sort of woman, definitely not the months it would take to get a book together.

My heroines are generally pretty at least. Some are striking. They are all slim which is both about the genre but also my preference. I like me best when I am slim even if I don't always manage it. I admire disciplined people.

Generally speaking I am writing about the heroines I would also enjoy reading about, no fools, disciplined when required, and able to feel the passions of life fully once they decide what they want. These women won't turn away from life. They will live it fully. Some of them are more directed than others, but they aren't the sort the hero has to constantly pull out of self-made disasters. The bad situations in these books come out of the situations not stupidity-- not to say mistakes don't happen.

When it comes down to it, I enjoy writing about strong people and the women in my books are no exception. They will be stronger as they go through the fire. They will fight alongside their man when that's what is needed-- and in most romances, it is needed.

So next blog will come one of those heroines-- she will not be my favorite between Rachel, Raven,  Katy, Susan, Helene, Christine, Marla, Barrett, Maggie, and Sara (last two from books coming out in May and June) but will be pulled from one of these books already out. Trailer for all my Kindle contemporary books (now and soon) and a blurb about each follows: