The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Praying Mantis


For the week before the fall equinox, it might have seemed nothing had been happening in the writing of my new book. No writing on it can be proven, nothing has ended up on the hard drive. A lot is happening though-- most of it in my head.

With the lead characters laid out as to their personalities, secondary characters making themselves known, the issue right now is knowing the historic facts I need. Currently I am reading The United States Marshals of New Mexico & Arizona Territories 1846-1912 by Larry D. Ball. It is helping me understand better the role of a United States Marshal and making me wonder if I really want the hero of that second book to be one. Maybe sheriff of Pima County would be better. I'll know better when I finish the book.

In terms of plotting, I know the next steps in the story between hero and heroine but am thinking a lot on what else happens. I am getting a better sense of who the villain will be. I am thinking about where the /\/\/\/ goes in terms of action. I think I mentioned the W before how you build excitement, release it, build it again, release, sometimes smaller and less intense before comes the final build up to hopefully a rewarding climax.

One thing I believe, after having written thirteen books, with two in the nymph stage, about writing a new book is it should not be always happening. Writing a book should not be on a timetable, and it should not be pushed to happen. It's about patience, waiting, thinking, planning, exploring, collecting, and being ready when the time comes to lay it down fast.

Last week a praying mantis returned again to the yard. Now they are likely here all along but not seen by me. I do look for them, but they aren't showy of colors or behavior like a dragonfly or butterfly.

The praying mantis is seen when it's ready. Given the season, this one was probably looking for a place to lay her eggs. I cannot think of an insect, except maybe a spider that seems to move with such slow purpose and without fear of humans-- apparently.


Of all the blogs I have written, the one drawing the most visitors, with still leaving comments several years after I wrote it, was the one on the praying mantis. People are fascinated by them and curious as to their meaning.

Because I believed, for me, that this praying mantis related to writing, perhaps wants to be a character in the lawman's story, I went looking for spiritual symbolism and came across this:

"The mantis comes to us when we need peace, quiet and calm in our lives. Usually the mantis makes an appearance when we've flooded our lives with so much business, activity, or chaos that we can no longer hear the still small voice within us because of the external din we've created. After observing this creature for any length of time you can see why the symbolism of the praying mantis deals with stillness and patience. The mantis takes her time, and lives her life at her own silent pace"
It suits how I feel right now about the writing. I am collecting information  and images-- even have most of a cover worked out. Meanwhile I am grateful to the praying mantis for the photographs for which it posed so nicely with over 30 shots-- 4 or 5 coming out very revealing of her personality.