The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Benefits from creating book trailers

Doing trailers is a lovely break from words as well as causing me to think more deeply about the physicality of the characters and their world. Whether they sell books, who knows, but they enrich my own experience in the books. We won't go into their addictive quality of making me want to buy more stock images. I want them all! I am just lucky that mostly I have all the background photos my stories could need after a lifetime of photography as a hobby-- also that I determined in the beginning to only use dollars the books have made.

For the first time, before I started the hard work of editing, I began a trailer for the historic book I plan to put out in the fall. Working with the images of the characters at this point has added dimensions I hadn't expected. It makes me think more about the physical reality these people faced (heroes, secondary players and villains) and provides grace notes to add to the story when I seriously go back into it.

My trip to the region where it's set was part of that enhancement as I heard the sounds, felt the land all over again in a fresh way from which the book is benefiting. Even though I haven't begun editing, you'd be amazed, if you don't write, how much happens in a writer's head before they sit down at the keyboard.

What wasn't in the land or my photos were the characters, and it's what I can put there through stock images. It's like bringing my words alive, but it takes time and research to find images, then alter them to be able to use.

Photos that show still action from a book simply don't exist in the stock image world except for writers who have made mega bucks and can hire actors. For indie writers, you find pieces of it. Once in awhile, you get very very lucky and find the background and model where it's perfect as it is.

There have been complaints that so many times the model on many romance covers is the same person. Writers worry about it -- trying to find different models but can't readers do what film viewers do--imagine this as a movie star playing different roles?

The story might be about real people, but the role could be played by Matt Damon or Ben Affleck. Then they go out and play two other characters in different movies. Viewers can adjust to that so why can't readers where it comes to covers or trailers?

When I find a stock model who doesn't quite fit my characters but is close, I purchase the image but then use photo tools to alter the faces just enough. I want them to 'feel' right, but if they look exactly as I imagined that character, I consider myself lucky.