The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Excerpt from Storm in the Canyon

In my experience, from my reading and my writing, series are born different ways. Sometimes a writer begins knowing a series is coming. Other times, they evolve. The series I call Diablo Canyon evolved from a dream for the first book, When Fates Conspire, into two more, all novellas. It is the most confusing set of books I have out there because I opted to keep the three novellas available without the heat while I put them together into one book, Diablo Canyon, with the spice. I still don't know how to count them when someone asks how many books I've written.

The following snippet is from the last book in the series, Storm in the Canyon. Justice, Remus and Racine are spirit guides but that is about to change for one of them.



><><><><



Justus and Remus looked up as Racine came to where they had been watching the Morgans give their son a bath before putting him to bed.
“What’s up?” Remus asked when he saw her distressed expression.
“Have you ever heard of guides or angels, being turned into humans?”
Both stared at her. “It’s in the Bible, other sacred traditions, but usually not permanent,” Remus said.
“But it can happen,” Justus agreed. “Angels came to Sodom and Gomorrah and took what appeared to be human forms. They could eat.”
Racine moved away from the happy family scene. The other two followed. They landed in a pine tree at the edge of the forest to the west of the ranch.
“Why are you asking?” Justus frowned.
“Have you missed being human?”
“Not particularly. Well, maybe sometimes. There are things I liked about it,” Remus responded when Justus just stared at her.
“What’s it like?”
“It has its moments,” Justus said. “I will probably take a human life again someday. Are you saying you never have?”
She shook her head. “I was created as I am. I’ve never aged or grown—well except through new observations. I don’t think I can call them experiences.”
“You’re not an angel though?”
“There are other beings… There must be.” She gave a nervous laugh. “I mean I am one of them.”
“Is this disturbing you now?” Remus asked with more sensitivity than Justus usually had.
“It wasn’t. I hadn’t really thought of options. I have been happy as I was or maybe I just wasn’t very imaginative. Anyway I was asked by Aretha to become a human.”
“Be born again—er make that be born once?”
“No, and not to take someone else’s human body either. It was to just transition or whatever they call it. She said I would become human as I am.”
The two were silent for awhile. “Did she say why?”
“It involves what’s going on out at Diablo Canyon. She thinks I could help more on the human side than I can here.” If she had been human, she’d have cried at that thought. It had to mean Aretha didn’t have faith in her as a guide any more.
“No, it does not,” Remus said putting his hand on her shoulder or what would have been a shoulder if she had had one.
Beneath them six mule deer came out of the forest, one of them a buck with four points on his antlers. The animals grazed along the bushes and wildflowers with a wary eye constantly looking for danger.
“It is dangerous to be a human. I could be killed,” she said as she admired the muscular beauty of the male paying more attention to how his impressive muscles moved his body with such grace.
“Well you’d at least know it wasn’t a permanent condition,” Justus said with a smirk.
“It might hurt though.”
“Racine, life does hurt. It’s what it’s all about. Maybe Aretha is right about you needing that experience… except why not be born a baby?”
“She said I am needed now for what is coming.”
The two guides looked at her and then toward the south. “Oh,” they both said at the same time.