The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Using theme music


When I need emotion in a certain section I am writing and don't feel enough of within me at the time, I use music to stir it up. Generally speaking, that will be soundtracks as words get in the way. I think a  person could use any sort of soundtrack that fit the emotion they needed. For me, I want the energy from the great westerns which can provide the feel of heroics, action, sacrifice, danger, and love.

Yes, most of my contemporary romances are not strictly speaking westerns except for Desert Inferno, From Here to There, Luck of the Draw, and A Montana Christmas, but here's the secret-- the rest are too. They are all westerns whether that western hero is a high school principal, a mechanic, or he's out riding the range. Westerns are about good versus evil. They are about someone standing up for what is right. They encompass a certain feeling, and it can be in any book-- or for that matter film. 

Yesterday, at least partly to avoid hearing complaining sheep, I chose to listen to soundtracks to Red River and Rio Grande. The latter will be particularly useful when I write the book about the cavalry in the John Day country. Yes, I need to research the actual life men lived in the military of that time-- but let's face it some of what we expect in our books is because of books we've already read and the films we've seen-- which are partly realistic and partly what we want to think.

Anyway my suggestions if you like western soundtracks (for writing to or just listening), is look for them from western films you might've enjoyed. Tombstone starring Kurt Russell as Wyatt Earp has a great soundtrack as does Legend of the Fall. Likewise, Open Range, Monte Walsh/Crossfire Trail, Dances with Wolves, and any collection taken from the tons of great westerns they used to make. 

Amazon is a good source because they carry what stores wouldn't and western soundtracks are probably offbeat interests. I also like buying something like the opening theme from films like Picnic and Long Hot Summer (that one has lyrics) which are available for $.99.

When I use something like the entry theme to The Big Country or How the West was Won, it makes me feel my characters are striding through life and conquoring mountains (which frankly sometimes love also requires).

These themes are uplifting, and that's what I aim for with my books. Life has enough tragedy and terrible things happening. When I write or read, I don't want sadness or evil people succeeding. I want the good guy to win and love to triumph. Music can give a writer that or whatever other emotion they need for where they are in the story.

Music like from the one below does something else-- it puts me in a great mood ;)