The books range on length from novels (60-130,000 words) to novellas (20-40,000 words). My books do have sex between consenting adults. The novellas are mostly ♥♥♥. Novels are ♥♥♥♥. There is some violence and mild profanity.

------holding hands, perhaps a gentle kiss
♥♥ ---- more kisses but no tongue-- no foreplay
♥♥♥ ---kissing, tongue, caressing, foreplay & pillow talk
♥♥♥♥ --all of above, full sexual experience including climax
♥♥♥♥♥ -all of above including coarser language and sex more frequent

Sunday, April 20, 2014

a story to root for


One of the things I have mentioned before is how I never really understand what readers want or don't in books. I read about these stories readers adored where they describe how the hero treats the heroine badly all the way through but her kind/feisty/determined/_____  behavior convinces him finally to change his ways. IF a person, male or female, really believes that is realistic to human nature, I hope they didn't pick their life partner that way. I am sorry, but it's unrealistic to expect someone to change because of someone else's sweetness.

Now there are reasons people change. They decide they want a different sort of life, and they are willing to work to get it. Life events can dramatically change someone's life path. But their basic character, if it's mean, it's not going to change due to someone else's sweetness. It's how you get these horrible stories of man or woman who thought they could make a difference and end up murdered. 

You know I write because it's what I do. But I consider what I put into my romances to be a responsibility to tell a good story, give emotional satisfaction but also put forth a healthy view of life. Sure I want interesting characters but always with something more. There are going to be obstacles. I have to want these people to succeed or why would I be writing their story? The more obstacles, the more interesting that book is for me to write. 

BUT (and this may be one of those things that romance readers don't like so much about my books) I don't write about heroes or heroines who are tamed by the other. I believe relationships do a lot for us, teach who we are at a core level as they challenge us. I believe we can, for assorted reasons, choose to end our own destructive behavior when we recognize it through a core relationship. I do not believe we can change another person.  I also believe that sometimes in relationships, we should choose to run like heck. A good example is dating someone who puts you down to feel better about themselves. It's a good example of-- run!

My stories won't have a hero/heroine being victimized or mistreating others. No Taming of the Shrew for me. If I purchased a book and the lead characters are mean, making me want to throttle them, it's heading for the garbage or these days the delete button on my Kindle. I like fairy tales, but not ones that are destructive for the attitudes they teach. As I've written here many times, garbage in garbage out. 

Because this is a break for me, before I start back into editing or begin writing the fourth Oregon historical, I decided I'd write a blog a day about the reasons I wrote each of my contemporary books. This won't be in any particular order although those that have continuing characters will show up together. This won't be about their plots but what led me to find these stories worth putting my time into telling.  I thought my reasons might inspire other wantabe writers to look around at what interests them and see the potential for a book they could begin.

One contemporary a day will take me to when I bring out the new contemporary paranormal novella May 1. If you are interested in more about one of the stories, about their plots, click alongside here on their images, which takes you to their sample chapter and blurb, visit Rainy Day Romances or hit my book trailer site-- Rainy Day Trailers.